Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chris Takes a Cooking Shortcut

Veal Tacos, made extra spicy. I'm not going to lie, these are mostly from a taco kit.
That enormous batch of risotto filled me up with many days of leftovers. I also had a long day at work. So I cooked a semi pre-made meal tonight. But hey! I'm not here to make excuses, especially since this is my blog! I clearly went into this summer with the intention of cooking anything and everything that I had a craving for. I craved tacos today and I made them. They were delicious.

I guess it wasn't fully the conventional taco, so I'll let you in on my recipe. I picked up some taco shells and taco seasoning today, along with one of those pre-shredded bags of mixed cheeses. You know, those next to the cream cheese that look delicious but end up tasting like cheese powder. If we're going to do fake mexican food, we might as well do it the American way.

The shells crisped in the oven for a few minutes, while my ground veal browned in some olive oil. Next came the addition of some water and the packet of taco seasoning. As it simmered, I added a generous pouring of Mexican Chili Powder, and my awesome super-spicy chili flakes. These chili flakes were made last semester after regular chili flakes weren't spicy enough for me. I took a bunch of dried tiny Thai Peppers and ground them up in a food processor. BAM. Very spicy chili flakes with little flavor. Next fall I might attempt it with ghost peppers, but we'll see.

I finished the dish with the cheese mixture, freshly diced tomatoes, red leaf lettuce, and a generous helping of my favorite salsa picante. My best effort cooking? No. Delicious? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment